Thursday, August 23, 2012

Nice Work If You Can Get It



Benefits!

So, yesterday I performed at my first ever stand-up open mic at Cha Cha's in Little Italy. It was fun and a little less daunting when I finally got up there; the terror is in the anticipation, right? A lot of good comics were out there: some new, some veterans, all trying to work out their material. I told jokes about pet owners, Batman, kids, and having a lot of energy. The crowd was welcoming and supportive. Got a few laughs, a couple of loud guffaws, and a lot of positive feedback. I've been wanting to try stand-up for a long time; out of all the art mediums it's the one I fear the most, and so I'm glad I finally fought that fear and tried it. I certainly think I'll be trying my hand at some more stand-up in the weeks, months, and years to come.

And maybe I have a video of my first-ever open mic. And maybe I'll post it on YouTube soon. Maybe.

Thanks all for your wonderful thoughts, love, and good vibes for yesterday. They made all the difference.


Lates,
-[jimmy]


P.S. I met another stand-up gentleman, who I believe is 54. First, he thought I was 22 instead of 27 (thank you, sir!); second, when I told him this was my first time he said something to me that took me completely by surprise. He said, "That's great that you're starting young." ...What? I know of comics who started at 22, 21, even 18. I thought I had started running way past the gunshot. But he had started at 50 and showed no illwill or remorse towards the fact. His one comment made me realize that youth, time, success: they're all relative.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment